GI Bill®

GI Bill® benefits helps qualifying Veterans and their family members get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training.

GI Bill® Benefits

If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). » more info on eligibility

If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or is 100% totally and permanently disabled, you may be able to get help paying for school or job training through the DEA program—also called Chapter 35. » more info on eligibility

If you served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty program. » more info on eligibility

If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, find out if you qualify for education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve program. » more info on eligibility

GI Bill® Certification Process

Veterans and family members who are enrolled at UTSA and would like to use GI Bill® benefits, please follow the following steps:

  1. Apply for your Benefits with VA Office

    The first step is to submit your application with the VA office. The website will guide you to the correct education benefits form but as a quick guide, the following forms is what will need to be submitted.
    – VA Form 22-1990 (Service Members and Veterans)
    – VA Form 22-1990E (Dependents using transferred CH33)
    – VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents using CH35)

    After the VA receives your application, they will review it and determine your eligibility for the benefit for which you applied. The VA will then mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) detailing your eligibility (usually within 6-8 weeks).

    Once you have a COE you can access information regarding your remaining benefits through the VA “submit a question” site.

  2. Send Official Copy of Military Transcripts

    Veterans using the GI Bill®, a copy of your military transcripts will need to be sent to UTSA Admissions for evaluation. Family members can skip this step.

  3. Register for Classes

    Before students can be certified, they must be enrolled. Register for classes when registration opens through your ASAP student portal. Please note, Veterans (not including family members) who are using federal and/or state education benefits at UTSA are eligible for priority registration.

  4. Request Certification

    Once steps 1-3 are complete, submit the following documents to our office through the document uploader:

    • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) see step 1
    • Certification request Form

    Please note, if you change majors or catalogs, you must let our office know. The VA will NOT certify courses that are not listed on your degree plan. Additionally, if you make any changes to your courses after you have submitted your certification request form, our office will report the change after the census date.

    Once all documents are submitted, our certifying officials will review your request and verify your courses are on your approved degree plan.

  5. Receiving your Benefits

    Our certifying officials may take 15-30 business days to complete, Once your complete request is received.

    We initially certify the number of credit hours you are enrolled in so that the VA can set up any allowances associated with your benefit for the semester that you have applied for.

    We send the tuition and fee bill for chapter 33 students to the VA after census date (10th class day) in fall and spring, and after July 15th for all summer terms. The VA can take up to 30 days to remit payment to UTSA.

    Chapter 33 students will continue to see a balance on their account, but will not be dropped or charged late fees (from the time the completed certification request is received) pending payment from the VA.

    Only Chapter 33 covers tuition and fees (at the approved benefit percentage level). If the VA does not remit payment to UTSA for tuition and fees, or sends a lesser amount, the student will be responsible for paying the balance.

  6. Submit a FAFSA

    Although you might be receiving benefits, we encourage everyone to fill out a FAFSA, even if you think you are not eligible for additional aid. FAFSA information is often used to determine eligibility for scholarships and used to determine eligibility for certain types of emergency aid. Please note scholarships that are “tuition specific” will reduce the amount of tuition covered by Chapter 33 benefits.

For more information on the GI Bill® Certification process, visit our YouTube channel!

Have a question?

Let us know how we can help by completing the following form:


Contact Us

Visit Us

VSOC Counselors

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at