Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E or Chapter 31) provides services to assist eligible and entitled Veterans and Service Members with service-connected disabilities that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working. Please note VR&E is not a VA Education program.

Services provided help eligible students:

  • In transition – through services to support transition back to civilian life
  • At work – through services resulting in suitable employment
  • On campus – through services to support them during education and training
  • At home and in the community – through services to maximize independence in daily living

VR&E Eligibility

Eligible veterans must meet the following to be eligible:

  • Honorable or Other than Dishonorable Discharge
  • VA service-connected disability rating of 10% or more; or memorandum rating of 20 percent
  • Apply for Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) benefits

» more info on VR&E eligibility

Eligible active duty service members must meet the following to be eligible:

  • Expect to receive an honorable discharge
  • Obtain a VA memorandum rating of 20 percent or more
  • Are participating in the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) process or awaiting discharge due to a medical condition resulting from serious injury or illness in the line of duty
  • Severely injured active-duty service members can automatically receive VR&E benefits before VA issues a disability rating; Sec. 1631(b) of the National Defense Authorization Act (PH 110-181)
  • Apply for Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) benefits

» more info on VR&E eligibility

VR&E Application Process

Eligible veterans and active duty service members who are enrolled at UTSA and would like to request VR&E services must:

  1. Apply for VR&E services at va.gov

    The first step is to submit a VA Form 28-1900, Application for Veteran Readiness and Employment with the VA (not UTSA).

    You can find your local VR&E office by calling the Veterans Benefits Administration Toll Free Number: 1-800-827-1000

  2. Meet with your VR&E Counselor

    After submitting an application, a local VR&E counselor (VRC) will contact you to schedule an initial appointment and conduct a comprehensive evaluation to determine if eligible for, and entitled to VR&E.

    If found entitled, VRC will work to develop a plan of services to fit the Veteran’s specific needs (which may include training as part of a comprehensive plan of services).

  3. Complete your Admissions Process with UTSA

    Please go to future.utsa.edu/apply/ and complete the admissions process for the program you want to pursue.

  4. Plan Development with Your VRC

    Once you have been admitted to UTSA, your VRC can begin writing a plan for your UTSA degree plan. Once the plan is complete, your VRC will send authorizations for your tuition & fees, and books & supplies directly to UTSA and the bookstore.

    While using VR&E, you do NOT need to submit a certification request form to CMAS.

  5. Buying Books and Supplies

    You can either buy your required books and supplies online or in-person. To order online, please follow the online ordering instructions on our website.

    To order in person, please go to the bookstore on Main Campus and go to the customer service desk. Inform them that you are using VR&E and provide your name (and authorization number if needed).

  6. Changes to Plan/Enrollment

    If you need to make any changes to your degree plan or to your semester enrollment (ex: dropping/adding classes), please let both CMAS and your VRC know prior to making any changes.

  7. After Graduation

    Once you have graduated and degrees have been conferred, you will need to provide your final UTSA transcript to your VR&E case manager. Learn more on how to request transcripts.

Ordering Books

As a Chapter 31, VR&E student, you can obtain a book voucher to order your books online at the UTSA bookstore.  Before ordering, you must work with your VR&E counselor to create an authorization which will be transmitted to the bookstore, who will create an account for you. » view online ordering instructions

Chapter 31 VR&E Bookstore Dates

Spring 2024: January 2 – March 15

VA VetSuccess on Campus

VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) supports Veterans and service members who are transitioning from military to college life, and certain qualified dependents. We have two vocational rehabilitation counselors, called VSOC counselors, located on campus within the Center for Military Affiliated Students. To meet with a VSOC counselor, please make an appointment.

Mrs. Wendy Foster

Have a question?

Let us know how we can help by completing the following form:


Contact Us

Visit Us

VSOC Counselors

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.